Tuesday, December 18, 2007

A Very Difficult Thing To Do . . .

We here try to do a good job with our kids. We aim for a little better than mediocre. But, it probably ends up being pretty mediocre. The point is . . . we try.

So, the other day, when the kind doctor was looking over Elijah's blood results, he says that Elijah's iron count is low.

Doc: What does he eat?

[I look over at my husband]

Me: Well.

[Waiting for some sign of help from husband . . . there is none. I'm on my own, I think.]

Me: Well. He's a tough kid. Breakfast consists of either a waffle with peanut butter or a pancake with syrup. For lunches, he pretty much eats chicken nuggets and french fries. But, not from McDonald's. We buy the good brand of chicken nuggets. He'll eat bananas and some fruits. And, then, for dinner, he only ever wants peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Lately, he has been into bologna and cheese sandwiches. He likes bread. And, he won't take vitamins.

Doc: What about vegetables?

Me: Well. Like I said. He's a really tough kid. But, sometimes, we are able to hide vegetables in the spaghetti sauce.

So, the doctor went into ways on how to introduce vegetables to his diet. Also, how we should all be eating the same thing for dinner. Not giving the kids different things from what we eat. Little by little, getting them used to eating the right thing.

It was very difficult to have this conversation. The kind doctor may as well had been my priest because I felt that I was confessing my parenting sins.

So, now from mediocre parenting, we are escalating to starving the poor kid.

Because, he. will. refuse. to. eat.

I guess I can try and blame the good doctor for the menu changes. (Which will be difficult enough since our menu is pretty small.)

Since the kids already hate going to the doctor's office.

Yeah. That'll work. Yeah! [insert sarcasm and fake hope]

4 comments:

Rocketstar said...

That is difficult. Our youngest one is one of those bread and nuggets eater as well. She's good at trying everything, but spits it out immediately. We usually don't make anything different but like you said, she just won't eat then.. Then the constant "I need a snack" after dinner. We usually will only offer fruits but it isn't easy.

Good luck.

The Mad Hoosier said...

I have no doubt that you are better than mediocre parents. Try not to worry too much...I grew up on a stedy diet of peanut butter and jelly, and I turned out ok. :)

In all seriousness, my daughters eat peanut butter and jelly quite often too...particularly when Dad "cooks". It's my specialty.

I'm sorry if the doctor made you feel mediocre. If it helps any, those are the same types of questions/suggestions that my daughters' doctor asks/recommends.

Cathy said...

Oh this is a hard one!
All mothers struggle with this; don't be too ahrd on yourself! My youngest son doesn't eat his veggies either! I think the doctors' advice is right about not serving other foods: it just takes time...hang in there!

Merry Christmas, Marel!
Cathy

Vani said...

i have my own issues with my oldest. as a baby she used to spit up any baby food that had veggies in it, and ever since then its been a battle. i have tried over and over, and you're right, the only other option would a life and death situation, where they'd be in a brink of exintion and had no choice but to eat veggies! somehow i find it crueler that way. either way, it doesn't make you a bad mom! being a parent is a learning process, we're just doing the best we can.

hope you have a merry x-mas!! maybe we can sneak some veggies in somewhere. :)